Are you looking for a goofy new way to style on Zergs? Are you sick and tired of that dumb and overpriced Warp Gate upgrade? Do you believe that every mineral patch is rightfully yours? Then the Disco Build is for you!
The Disco Build is an Oracle-centered macro build that operates on three simple facts:
1: Oracles are hilariously good against Hydralisks, Lings and Banes (Ultras too!)
2: Stasis Wards and Photon Cannons go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly
3: Money → Carriers → Winning
Here’s the build:
Nexus first Forge Fast Expand and Probe scout – keep scouting until you see a 3rd base
Getting the Party Started:
- This is what you want
- Keep pumping Oracles and research +1 Air Armor – if you’ve done any damage at all the Hydralisks alone will never beat Mass Oracle
- Add more Stasis Traps and Cannons
- Business as usual – just Revelate for burrowed Infestor ahead of your Oracle pack and split them up into smaller groups when you get to 25-30 Oracles
- Check for a Hive periodically for possible Vipers
- Expand, Expand, Expand
- Be patient with Vipers and don’t even get close without thoroughly pre-spreading
- Your opponent might make a few Ultralisks to help bust through your Cannons – Oracles laugh in their general direction
- This is going to be the scariest option. Revelate larva to find out if it’s Mutalisks or Curruptors
- If the Zerg Air can camp your Stargates it’s checkmate – immediately build about 10 cannons around your Stargate cluster (you should have about 5 by now) and build a Fleet Bacon and Phoenix range.
- Build additional Cannons in every mineral line – keep in mind Curruptors are terrible guests and are known to urinate on people’s property when they drink too much
- Make a few Phoenix if Muta, Mass Void Ray if Corrupter
- Build a 2nd Cybernetics and research double air upgrades and even shields if you’re really rolling in it
- Corruptors are the correct response to this build in my opinion, but they won’t be able to effectively slow down your expanding.
- Oracles are still much faster than Curruptor so run them around the map while you expand aggressively
- Split up your pack into smaller groups to place Stasis traps at Zerg’s prospect bases and kill new Hatcheries
- Some Zergs will make a pack of Curruptors to zone out your Oracles while an anti-ground army like mass Ling/Bane tries to kill bases. When you scout this add more Cannons, Stasis Wards and wall tight with Gateways if necessary
- Versus Roach/Curruptor add more cannons/stasis, build Void Rays, and keep the Curruptors busy at home
- Oracles no longer leave the protection of Cannons until Phoenix win the air
- Tag the Muta flock as often as is safely possible
- If you have 5 secure Bases already just skip Phoenix and build OP Carriers
Your eventual goal is the Golden Armada with a Mothership, 3-3 Carriers and Oracle support.
Add on more Stargates and donate some Probes when you Max out.
- Sacrifice or trade a base if need be – let your Cannons and Stasis traps buy you time
- Wait for the Zerg air to separate from the Hydras for just a moment and pounce on them with your Oracles
- Set up a concave if they have Infestors or Viper
- In case of Emergency – In rare circumstances I’ve lost too many Oracles early on and I could no longer fight the Hydralisks – I’ve had some success with throwing down 10+ gateways, a twilight council and (ugh) Warp Gate for a massive 4 base Chargelot all in – not a Plan A or even a Plan B but a complete hail mary.
Good Luck, Have Fun – and don’t forget to dance!