The Yankees will head to Minnesota to take on the Twins in what could be a playoff preview. The two division leaders will look to take this important series. These clubs met back in early May when the Yankees took the series 2-1. However, they only outscored Minnesota 13-11. If this series plays out like the one in May, it could be very entertaining. This one could simply come down to whichever team hits more homers.
Probable Starters and Game Times
Game 1: Monday, July 22 | 8:10 PM EST
Probables: CC Sabathia (5-4, 4.06 ERA) vs. Martin Perez (8-3, 4.10 ERA)
Game 2: Tuesday, July 23 | 8:10 PM EST
Probables: Domingo German (12-2, 3.38 ERA) vs. Kyle Gibson (9-4, 4.02 ERA)
Game 3: Wednesday, July 24 | 8:10 PM EST
J.A. Happ (8-5, 4.86 ERA) vs. Jake Odorizzi (11-4, 3.18 ERA)
Players to Watch for
New York Yankees: Aaron Judge
Including the 2017 Wild Card game, Judge has a career line of .360/.515/.840 with a 1.355 OPS against current Twins pitchers. The 27-year-old is also having a solid 2019 in general as he’s hitting near .300 and slugging close to .550. He’ll look to continue his success against the Twins this week.
Minnesota Twins: Max Kepler
This is Max Keplers fourth full season in the big leagues. Through his first 89 games this year, he already has 23 home runs which is a career high. This seems to be a trend in Minnesota this season, as they have the most home runs in the league with 181 at the time of writing. Kepler has just two long balls in July, and they came on the same day. He’s due for some fireworks, and that may happen this week against the Yankees.
New York Yankees
- Brett Gardener could play against the Twins if his knee lets him.
- Dellin Betances’ lat strain could heal sometime in August.
- Giancarlo Stanton remains on the injury list until at least mid August.
- Luis Severino will sit out for likely another month.
- Miguel Andujar is out for the season as he recovers from shoulder surgery.
- Byron Buxton has a concussion but could return this week if cleared.
- Willians Astudillo will likely miss this series with an oblique strain.
Feature image courtesy of Al Bello/Getty Images.