Baltimore will head about an hour south for a two-game set with the Washington Nationals. The Orioles don’t have much left to play for this season, so winning what is called “The Beltway Series” could be at least something memorable for them. The Nationals, on the other hand, are very much in their division race as well as the wild card race. These two games could be useful for the Nationals to see if they should buy or sell at the trade deadline.
Probable Pitchers and Game Times
Game 1: Tuesday, July 16 | 7:05 PM EST
Probables: Asher Wojciechowski (0-2, 6.10 ERA) vs. Austin Voth (0-0, 5.52 ERA)
Game 2: Wednesday, July 17 | 7:05 PM EST
Probables: Aaron Brooks (2-3, 4.75 ERA) vs. TBD
Players to Watch For
Baltimore Orioles: Micheal Givens
Miceal Givens has been in quite a few trade rumors recently. Even though his numbers aren’t too flashy, teams know the potential that the 29-year-old has. If he can get some innings on the mound, odds are some teams will keep a close eye on his performance. Givens has seven saves on the season.
Washington Nationals: Brian Dozier
Brian Dozier isn’t having his best season, but he still gets a lot of starts. Though this is only a two game set, he can start heating up against a poor Orioles pitching staff. He also should be motivated to improve to keep his starting spot down the stretch. It’ll be interesting to see how the 32-year-old will fare against Baltimore.
- Alex Cobb is out for the season with hip surgery.
- Mark Trumbo is expected to be out until August due to a knee injury.
- Dylan Bundy should only miss a start or two as his knee recovers.
- Nate Karns’ forearm strain is keeping him out for at least another week.
- Jeremy Hellickson (SP) will be out for about another week as his shoulder recovers.
- Koda Glover has a forearm injury and will likely be out until August.
- Justin Miller can return to the bullpen for the series if his shoulder allows.
- Max Scherzer should only miss one start from a back strain.
Feature Image Courtesy of Getty Images.