The college football season is here. Every week, different news and notes will pop up, which will affect what happens on the field and off it. Here are the college football week 9 news and notes.
Duke’s Mark Gilbert Opts Out and Declares
Duke corner Mark Gilbert is opting out of the season and is declaring for the 2021 NFL Draft. Gilbert played two games before suffering a foot injury.
Duke CB Mark Gilbert, a fifth-year senior, has opted out of the remainder of the 2020 season and will begin preparation for the 2021 NFL draft, the school announced. Gilbert recently had foot surgery.
— Yahoo Sports College Football (@YahooSportsCFB) October 26, 2020
Graham Mertz Tests Positive for COVID
Wisconsin quarterback Graham Mertz has tested positive for COVID-19. If the test is confirmed with a PCR nasal swab, Mertz will miss three weeks. Chase Wolf also tested positive so Danny Vanden Boom, the fourth-string quarterback, will likely see the field if Wisconsin is able to play over the next few week.
Graham Mertz has tested positive for COVID-19, sources told the State Journal on Sunday. As with all positive tests that occur using the daily rapid antigen tests, Mertz will be taking a PCR nasal swab test in order to confirm his diagnosis. https://t.co/jWqrjaLamq
— Wisconsin State Journal (@WiStateJournal) October 25, 2020
Wisconsin vs. Nebraska Cancelled
Due to 12 cases of COVID, the game between Wisconsin and Nebraska has been canceled and ruled a no contest.
Wisconsin said that 12 people within the football program have tested positive for COVID-19.
The game against Nebraska on Saturday has been canceled and declared a no contest. https://t.co/pbW48dFrGN
— Yahoo Sports College Football (@YahooSportsCFB) October 28, 2020
Jaylen Waddle Out for Season
After getting injured on a kickoff against Tennessee, Jaylen Waddle is out for the season. He injured his right ankle.
Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle is out for the season, CBS reports
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) October 24, 2020
Noah Cain Out for the Season
Penn State running back Noah Cain is out for the season with a lower body injury. The Nittany Lions are already without Journey Brown, who is out with a medical issue.
James Franklin's weekly news conference beginning now. He says RB Noah Cain will be out for the remainder of the 2020 season.
— Audrey Snyder (@audsnyder4) October 27, 2020
Other News and Notes
- The Pac-12 week 1 schedule has been released.
- Purdue Head Coach Jeff Brohm is expected to return to the team facility this week after testing positive for COVID.
- TCU quarterback Eli Williams has entered the transfer portal. He was a three-star prospect.
- San Jose State vs. New Mexico has been moved to San Jose State due to the amount of cases of COVID in New Mexico’s area.
- Florida will unveil blue helmets this weekend against Missouri.
- Arizona State will wear 1975 throwbacks vs. UCLA on December 5.
- Because of COVID issues at FIU, the Panthers’ game vs. Marshall has been postponed.
- Southern Miss interim head coach Scotty Walden is leaving to take the head coaching job at Austin Peay. Tim Billings will now be interim head coach.
- North Texas and UTEP’s game has been postponed due to COVID.
Make sure to check out our college football page for more content!