The college football season is here. Every week, different news and notes will pop up, which will affect what happens on the field and off it. Here are the college football week 3 news and notes.
USC Fires Clay Helton
Thank you Trojan Family. Fight On! pic.twitter.com/ejZe6Pr5rV
— Clay Helton (@GSCoachHelton) September 14, 2021
Boston College Quarterback Phil Jurkovec is out for the season
Boston College starting quarterback Phil Jurkovec is out for the season with a right-hand injury. Jurkovec was a projected early-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.
Tough news for Boston College: BC announces QB Phil Jurkovec likely out for season with a right hand injury, after undergoing surgery today
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) September 13, 2021
Texas A&M’s Haynes King has Surgery
Texas A&M quarterback Haynes King had a crack in his lower leg and underwent surgery. There is no timeline for his return. Zach Calzada is expected to start in his place.
Texas A&M Haynes King has a "crack" in his lower leg and underwent surgery, Jimbo Fisher said.
Fisher would not say how long A&M expects King to be sidelined.
— Yahoo Sports College Football (@YahooSportsCFB) September 13, 2021
Texas to Start Casey Thompson against Rice
After starting Hudson Card for the first two games of the season, Texas will start Casey Thompson against Rice. Card will still get playing time in the game.
Sark announces Casey Thompson will start vs Rice.
— Longhorn Network (@LonghornNetwork) September 13, 2021
Skylar Thompson is Out Indefinitely with a Knee Injury
Kansas State starting quarterback Skylar Thompson is out indefinitely with a knee injury. Will Howard will start against Nevada this week.
Chris Klieman says Will Howard will handle the majority of first-string reps this week. Jaren Lewis will prepare as the backup.
K-State doesn't yet know who the third-string QB will be against Nevada.
— Kellis Robinett (@KellisRobinett) September 13, 2021
Other News and Notes
- Purdue running back Zander Horvath is out 4-8 weeks. The Boilermakers play Notre Dame on Saturday.
- Oregon linebacker Justin Flowe may have a longer-term injury, while defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux is expected back sooner.
- Oregon tight end Cam McCormick is out for the season with a leg injury.
- NC State linebacker Payton Wilson and safety Cyrus Fagan are out for the season with injuries.
- Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud will only play if there is an emergency due to a shoulder injury. Kyle McCord or Jack Miller will be the starter.
This will be updated up until Saturday!
Make sure to check out our college football page for more content like College Football Week 3 News and Notes!