The college football season is here. Every week, different news and notes will pop up, which will affect what happens on the field and off it. Here are the college football week 3 news and notes.
Big Ten Returns to Play
The Big Ten announced on Wednesday that they will return to play on October 23-24. The conference will have an eight-game schedule with the Big Ten Conference Championship on December 19. Big Ten teams will be eligible for the College Football Playoff.
Tulane Extends Willie Fritz
Tulane has extended head coach Willie Fritz through 2026. He is 60 years old, but has gone 15-12 over the last two seasons.
Sources: Tulane has extended the contract of head coach Willie Fritz. The 2020 season is the first of a seven-year deal that extends through the 2026 season. Tulane wants to keep the 60-year-old Fritz at Tulane the rest of his career. He's 15-12 with two bowl wins since 2018. pic.twitter.com/fzi4X2N4qd
— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) September 14, 2020
Still No Vote to Play for the Big Ten
According to multiple reports, the Big Ten has not had a vote yet to return to play this fall. Because of this, multiple players from the Big Ten, and the Pac-12, have been declaring for the NFL Draft.
B.J. Foster Quits in the Third Quarter
Texas was taking on UTEP on Saturday and won the game easily. That didn’t stop safety B.J. Foster from quitting the team during the third quarter. He has 81 total tackles and two interceptions in his career.
Texas junior safety B.J. Foster quit the team during the third quarter of Saturday's victory against UTEP, according to multiple sources. It remains unclear if Foster will have an opportunity to play for Texas again even if he has second thoughts.
— Anwar Richardson (@AnwarRichardson) September 13, 2020
Devon Hunter Suspended
Devon Hunter, a redshirt junior for Virginia Tech, was suspended indefinitely. The safety has only played sparingly in his Hokie career.
Virginia Tech Athletics Statement pic.twitter.com/AuyS7jsY1q
— Virginia Tech Football (@HokiesFB) September 14, 2020
Other News and Notes
- Air Force has games scheduled vs. Army (Oct. 3) and Navy (Nov. 7). These are the only two games on the Falcons’ schedule, as the Mountain West is not playing this fall.
- TCU quarterback Max Duggan is out right now with COVID. (via Drew Davison)
- Louisiana Tech will play BYU on October 2. (via Brett McMurphy)
- UAB quarterback Tyler Johnston out indefinitely with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder.
- Central Arkansas and Arkansas State, who were set to play this week, will now play on October 10.
- Houston and Memphis were scheduled to play on Thursday, but due to COVID cases on Memphis it was postponed. Houston then scheduled Baylor for Saturday, but that has now been postponed. (via Bruce Feldman)
- Florida Atlantic vs. Georgia Southern has been postponed.
This will be updated until Saturday kicks off!
Make sure to check out our college football page for more content!