The college football season is winding down. Every week, different news and notes will pop up, which will affect what happens on the field and off it. Here are the college football week 14 news and notes.
Michael Penix Jr. Out for the Season
Michael Penix Jr. was injured in Indiana’s game against Maryland in week 13. He is now out for the season with a torn ACL.
Indiana QB Michael Penix Jr. out for season w/torn ACL
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) November 30, 2020
Derek Mason Fired
Vanderbilt has fired head coach Derek Mason after going 0-7 to start the year.
Player Opt Outs
More players have opted out for the rest of the season in order to train for the NFL Draft.
- Rachad Wildgoose, CB, Wisconsin
- Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas
- Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU
- Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
- Asante Samuel, WR, Florida State
- Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State
- Caden Sterns, S, Texas
College Football COVID News
- Florida State at Duke canceled.
- Miami will play Duke at 8 pm EST.
- Charlotte vs. Western Kentucky canceled.
- Minnesota vs. Northwestern canceled.
- Washington State vs. USC moved from Dec. 4 to Dec. 6.
- Southern Miss vs. UTEP canceled.
- Boise State vs. UNLV canceled.
- Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina canceled.
- Coastal Carolina will play BYU this weekend instead.
- FIU vs. Charlotte canceled.
- Maryland vs. Michigan canceled.
- Due to Santa Clara not allowing contact sports, Stanford’s final two game will be on the road
- Kent State vs. Miami canceled.
- Houston vs. SMU canceled.
- UAB vs. Middle Tennessee canceled.
Southern Miss Hires Will Hall as Head Coach
Southern Miss has hired Tulane offensive coordinator Will Hall as their new head coach.
SOURCES: Southern Miss to hire Tulane offensive Coordinator Will Hall with the official announcement coming tomorrow. Thus ending the coaching search to replace Jay Hopson, with both Scotty Walden and Tim Billings having served as interim HC in his absence.
— Jeff Haeger (@TheJeffTakeWXXV) December 1, 2020
UCF Quarterback McKenzie Milton has Entered the Transfer Portal
UCF quarterback McKenzie Milton has decided to enter the transfer portal. Milton was the starter at UCF from 2016-2018 before suffering a gruesome knee injury. He has since rehabbed and returned to football activities.
UCF QB McKenzie Milton entered the transfer portal Thursday, ending a five-year career with the Knights in hopes of one final opportunity to earn a starting job. (via @aadelsonESPN) https://t.co/oX6DS2KkqH pic.twitter.com/NLOCQqsh7a
— ESPN College Football (@ESPNCFB) December 3, 2020
Make sure to check out our college football page for more content!