College football is almost here. With the more weeks that go on, more news and notes will be put together. Here are some of the things happening around the sport of college football heading into week 0.
Jarren Williams Named Starter for Miami
Miami has named redshirt freshman Jarren Williams its starting quarterback over Ohio State transfer Tate Martell and N'Kosi Perry, who started six games in 2018.
— Yahoo Sports College Football (@YahooSportsCFB) August 12, 2019
Williams is a redshirt freshman who likely has the best passing ability on the Hurricanes. He beat out highly-coveted transfer Tate Martell and the only player on the roster with starting experience in N’Kosi Perry.
Martell was given the day off after the announcement and is reportedly considering switching his position to wide receiver.
The Hurricanes open up play in Week 0 against Florida in Orlando.
Jayden Daniels to Start at Quarterback for Arizona State
Herm Edwards officially announces that Jayden Daniels is the starting quarterback for the Sun Devils Joey Yellen his fellow true freshman is the backup. pic.twitter.com/UF2AVDPSAf
— DevilsDigest.com (@DevilsDigest) August 13, 2019
Herm Edwards announced that Arizona State will start freshman Jayden Daniels at quarterback. His backup will be another freshman in Joey Yellen. Daniels will be the first Arizona State quarterback to start a season opener in school history.
Daniels was a four-star dual-threat quarterback as ranked by 247sports.com.
The Sun Devils will open their season on Thursday, August 29 at 10:00 PM EST against the Kents State Golden Flashes.
Former USC DB Jack Jones Enrolls at Arizona State
Source: Former five-star USC defensive back Jack Jones has been admitted to Arizona State. He went to junior college and is expected to be immediately eligible and start practice the next few days.
— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) August 15, 2019
Jack Jones got playing time as a freshman at USC, but then transferred to a JUCO. The talented young player is immediately eligible at Arizona State.
Louisiana Encouraging Players to Pay $50 to the School’s Athletic Fund
I watched the press conference. Napier did say it was mandatory. Supposedly the school stepped in shortly after to say that was wrong. It took two days for it to go national. But the story here isn’t the media machine, it’s the root of the idea https://t.co/4qhrDLis2h
— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) August 16, 2019
Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns coach Billy Napier is requiring players to pay $50 to the school’s athletic fund. For walk-on players in will be optional.
Hard Knocks-like Show Going to Several Schools
— Theo Lawson (@TheoLawson_SR) August 17, 2019
A Hard Knocks-like show is coming to college football. Several schools have been rumored to be in the show, but production has already begun at Washington State, which will feature one of the most entertaining coaches in the sport, Mike Leach.
Hugh Freeze Hospitalized With Staph Infection
Liberty coach Hugh Freeze is currently hospitalized after a type of staph infection was discovered following Freeze experiencing significant back pain. https://t.co/lKa2I5A05a pic.twitter.com/3UtlqAZmvS
— Yahoo Sports College Football (@YahooSportsCFB) August 18, 2019
Liberty hired Hugh Freeze this offseason. Their new head coach has had surgery to deal with a staph infection and it is possible he will have to coach Liberty’s season opener on August 31 against Syracuse from the booth.
First AP Poll of the Season Released
First AP poll:
9. Notre Dame
— Yahoo Sports College Football (@YahooSportsCFB) August 19, 2019
Arkansas State Coach Blake Anderson to Take Leave of Absence to be With Wife
Arkansas State head coach Blake Anderson will take a leave of absence to be with his wife who has cancer. Assistant head coach and defensive coordinator Dave Duggan will take over in his absence.
Update: Anderson’s wife passed away Monday night. There is no timetable for his return.
— Blake Anderson (@CHbanderson) August 20, 2019
Other News and Notes
- There are plenty of new or reimagined uniforms from the past this season. Yahoo Sports College Football has been putting them on their twitter feed.
- Arkansas and Oklahoma State have agreed to a two-year deal to play each other in 2032 and 2033.
- The Frisco Bowl has a new sponsor. The Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl will now be the official title.
- The Sun Bowl has a new sponsor as well. It will now be the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl.
- NC A&T, an HBCU, is considering moving from the FCS to the FBS.
- To no one’s surprise, Justin Fields has been named Ohio State’s starting quarterback.
- Oklahoma has named Jalen Hurts their starting quarterback.
- Purdue running back is out indefinitely with a broken jaw.
- Oklahoma transfer Austin Kendall named the starting quarterback at West Virginia.
- Illinois will start Brandon Peters at quarterback for their opener.
- Freshman Bo Nix will start for Auburn in their first game against Oregon.
- UCF will start Notre Dame transfer Brandon Wimbush at quarterback.
- Ryan Willis will start for Virginia Tech.
- Penn State transfer Tommy Stevens will start at Mississippi State.
This post will be updated with any more relevant news before week 0 kicks off!
Make sure to check out our college football page for more updates and rankings.