Possible Pro Bowl Changes
There are the NBA All-Star events, NHL All-Star events, and the MLB All-Star festivities, what do these three things have in common? They are all All-Star events that are better than NFL Pro Bowl. The Pro Bowl is a joke. It has been for years. The last good Pro Bowl was when Sean Taylor ran through that punter. Preseason games might be better than the Pro Bowl because there at least is actual tackling and real effort.
This year was even worse. There was no Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, or Rivers. Bridgewater is a good young QB but he is not a Pro Bowl QB. And the game itself was laughable. I’m not even sure if I saw an actually tackle besides when Bobby Wagner tackled his teammate Richard Sherman. And I bet most of the league’s receivers took a little enjoyment from that hit. But I like how NFL tried to spice it by mixing the conferences and having the teams “coached” by NFL legends, like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin. But it isn’t spicy enough.
Here is my proposal to the NFL:
- If you are really about player safety, keeping the integrity of the game, and giving the fans something to watch and enjoy, stop trying to pass this off as a game. Just go ahead and make the game a 7-on-7 tournament and make other events for other positions.
- 7-on-7 tournament should have eight teams picked by NFL legends and the captains. There should be two 10-minute periods with a running clock and each team has two timeouts to stop the clock. Getting out of bounds always stops the clock. Touchdowns are 7 points and INT are 3 points, with defensive stops being 2 points. Money bonuses go to the top three teams.
- OL-DL Pass Protection and Run Block Drills. Money Bonus to the side that wins the most match-ups.
- Kicking and Punting Competition. Teams of one kicker and one punter get to show off their range and accuracy on the Field Goals and punts. Money to the top three teams.
- Optional: Maybe a Coaches Flag Football Game. Doesn’t have to be Head Coaches just any coach from each team and they play in Coaches Flag Football Game. Rules are the same as any flag football game.
- Steps 3-5 are on Saturday and Sunday is the 7-on-7 tournament.
If it is not my proposal, can it just please be changed because these last few Pro Bowls have lacked a lot of real competition, and football is a really competitive sport and its All-Star Game should reflect the same thing.